Families and Children
What are Family & Children services?
For the last ten years WDP has developed specialist family and children services to support those experiencing drugs and alcohol dependency problems by working with them, their families and children.
Dependency on drugs and/or alcohol can have huge effects on families and children. The aim of this service across the board is to increase understanding about drug and/or alcohol dependency and how it can affect children and families.
WDP runs different programmes focusing specifically on families, carers and children. Some services focus mainly on working with children, while others focus on families as a whole affected by drug and alcohol use. The client, their children and/or families have access to various types of specialist services which can help to improve relationships and communication between parents and children and bring support on how to deal with problematic drug and/or alcohol use.
WDP's Families and Children work includes services such as:
- One to one sessions for individuals affected by problematic drug and or/alcohol use
- Age appropriate interventions with children and young people
- Family therapy
- Practical parenting groups
- Couples counselling support for clients and their partners
- Play therapy for children giving children a non directive play space to find their voice and express emotions in a safe space
- Play coaching where children and parents can benefit from designated play space to learn new skills, learn about each other and enjoy a relaxed space together
- Specialist work for clients in the criminal justice system and their families using family therapy and working with extended family members, including sessions in prison to make reparations.
- Specialist service for whole families affected by alcohol use which includes practical parenting groups, play therapy and play coaching, family therapy and key working.
Where WDP provides Family and Children services:
- The Core Trust provides support for families and children affected by problematic drug and alcohol use for all clients attending The Core Trust Day Programme and AfterCare services.
- HertSpeak offer a free service in Hertfordshire for any parents with past or current drug and alcohol use, their children, partners and wider family members who live in the area.
- One Herts One Family works with children, parents and families in Hertfordshire where a variety of issues are causing problems for the children, including difficulties with drug or alcohol , domestic abuse, mental health or debt.
- Westminster North has a dedicated family worker and therapist.